Wednesday, December 8, 2010

NYC or bust

I have had quite a few people ask me about my race in NYC this past weekend.  I thought about just side-stepping the issue, but that's not fair to you and it's not fair to me either.  I was really looking forward to running the 10k in Central Park Sunday morning.  However, each day my friend and I were there, the temperature kept dropping and the wind kept picking up.  Finally Sunday morning came along and we had decided we would wait to see what the temperature was and make the final decision to run or not once we knew that crucial piece of information.  Sunday morning brought 31 degree temperatures with wind (not gusts, just straight-up wind) of 20 mph....dropping the temperature down to a frigid 21 degrees.  I could see myself standing around waiting 30 minutes for the race to start and I saw myself becoming a popsicle.  Unfortunately, I chose not to do the race which just means I will have to go back to the city to check "run Central Park" off my list.  Darn, what a shame...another trip to a fabulous, wonderful and fun city.  For your enjoyment, I've added 3 of my fav pics from the weekend.


I may not have run the race, but I was able to see some great people who are almost like a family away from home for dinner on Thursday, see the Rockefeller Christmas tree all lit up (beautiful!), check out amazing sites and have fun memories with a friend.  All in all, a good weekend, and that is how I will remember it.  Thank you to everyone for your encouragement and keeping me honest and on track - I truly appreciate it.  Remember, everything is a learning experience, a stepping stone and a celebration.  I let the cold defeat me this weekend, but it won't defeat my dream.

1 comment:

  1. You deciding not to run that race is ok. I signed up to run the Turkey Trot and the Freezer Burn 10K out here in Missoula. But when race day rolled around and it was below zero and snowing, I didn't run either of them! Too cold, and I would probably fall on the snow! But, keep it up! And keep posting your races!

    ReplyDelete