Tuesday, November 30, 2010

New goals

Accountability is the key factor in life sometimes.  Whether it's fitness, job, life, passion, school, etc. related.  I have been going to the same gym now for a few years and have become a regular in certain classes (Zumba, Body Combat, Body Pump).  It's great being a regular - people know your name, you develop relationships and accountability with your classmates...but the staff knows you too.  So when I stopped going to Combat for a few months, the teacher happened to find me in the gym one day and called me out for not coming to class anymore.  Yeah, that one hurt a bit.  So I said I'd come back for one class...3 weeks later, I finally fit it into my schedule.  I did back-to-back classes of Zumba and Body Pump last night and I can assure you - every inch of my body hurts right now...but it hurts in a good way because I know I'm changing and changing for the better.  I also forgot how much fun it is and know I'll be back next week.

One thing has become clear to me recently, and especially last night - GOALS MUST BE CLEARLY DEFINED.  I love races as an excuse to travel (as mentioned in my last post) but it also gives me a goal with an end date.  Goals are great, but having an end date spurs me on even more because I know their is a definite end to intenese training or a day where I can show off my hard work.  Tomorrow is the first day of December and with that comes New Year's Eve and new year's resolutions.  I say to heck with that.  If you want to start or change something - start now!  Who says you have to wait a whole month?  Get ahead of the curve and start your change now.  It can be fitness/health related (as most new year's resolutions are) OR it can be to get a new job - update and start sending out resumes; work on stage fright - do you have a speech at wedding to give, know someone with a big milestone coming up?  Ask if you can make a toast.  Looking for love - put yourself out there!  Whatever your goal may be - start now; ask for help - not only does it hold you accountable but you may make someone else's day by letting them help you.  Lastly, don't forget to have an end date you can keep in sight.  Mark it on your calendar - use different colored pens, make a countdown, make mini-goals...but no matter what, keep it fun!  Now, GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment