Saturday, January 1, 2011

Family and a challenge....accepted.

I absolutely love Christmas time - people are nicer, all the lights and decorations are beautiful and it typically means time with my family.  This year, my Christmas plans changed due to the snow storm that hit the east coast.  Instead of going to Savannah, I stayed here and my brother, sister-in-law and niece drove up to stay with my parents.  It was wonderful having them here for a whole week!  My niece got her first snow and it was SO fun to see her react to the snow and the cold.


My brother, Jason, found out there is a half marathon in Atlanta over Thanksgiving this year and asked if I would run it with him.  I looked up the course and it follows part of the Olympic marathon course run in 1996...which means there are hills.  Those of you who know me and my running, know I absolutely despise running hills and pretty much only run them when I'm forced.  Knowing this, I was not thrilled about the half marathon, however I think it would be fun to run a race with my brother.  So this is my way of saying, it's time to get back in half marathon shape! 

I have signed up for the Monument Avenue 10k in April.  I ran this race for the first time 2 years ago in 1 hr 15 minutes.  My goal is to complete it in the same amount of time...especially since I was coming back from an injury at the time.  My "cherry on top" for the race would be to run it in under 60 minutes.  I like to say 'go big or go home' so that's what I'm doing.  After the race, I plan on concentrating on gradually adding mileage however concentrating on speed and the dreaded hill work.  So, if you are in Atlanta and see Jason - be sure to ask him how his training for the half marathon is going.  He also has no idea I'm blogging about him, so this should be fun. =)  If you're in Richmond and want to go for a run or train for the 10k with me, or even run the race with me - lets do it!  It's always more fun with friends!  Grab your running shoes and start your adventure with me as I aim to get back in half marathon shape and absolutely DEMOLISH my previous half marathon time.

2 comments:

  1. Elaine that is awesome! Please tell your parents and Jason I said hello! I am actually training for a full marathon here in Montana in July. It is a life goal of mine to run a marathon by the time I am 30, and so I thought I would make 2011 my year! I am planning on running a half marathon in Olympia, Washington in May as part of my training as well. I can not wait to read about your experience, and hope to trade motivation and training tips with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Has your brother run a half marathon before? I'm enjoying reading your blog! I'm also bummed that I won't get to see you soon, but maybe sometime we can get together....

    On more running news, I have also been getting back into it after having Nora. I signed up for the Charlottesville Marathon on April 9, and hear its full of hills. The only reasoned I signed up for it was the date and I could stay with Rebecca. I'm pretty nervous about the hills myself, but hear they have changed the course a little to make it more level. Look at it this way, usually the more up hill you run, the more down hill you GET to run!

    ReplyDelete