Sunday, November 27, 2011

I survived the reunion!

If you couldn’t tell from my post before, I was pretty nervous about this reunion.  If you needed more reassurance of this - you could have looked at my luggage.  When I pulled into the hotel Saturday afternoon, I had to get a luggage cart to help me with my stuff.  Yes, that’s right.  Just MY stuff.  I couldn’t carry everything in one trip; that’s how you know I’m nervous.  I needed options from what to wear, the jewelry, coats, shoes, etc.  Options = lots o’ crap.

I ended up heading downtown to the club where the reunion was held with my friend Meredith but before that, I headed over to her house to meet her.  Thankfully I had a few extra minutes because somehow I didn’t remember to grab EVERYTHING from my car and left my tights and purse options in my car.  (see - LOTS o’ crap)  After that situation was sorted out, I kind of said to heck with all of this.  I’m just going to do what I want.

The reunion was at a club which, initially, I thought was kind of weird.  Have I mentioned I’m fat and don’t like clubs because I get self conscious?  Ohhh, that’s right.  Well we got to the door and had to pay to get in…yes, it was cheaper if you paid ahead of time but I’m not going to lie - I wasn’t 100% sure until I was in the car and parking downtown that I was going to actually make it to this reunion.  Good thing Meredith and I shared the same opinion and decided, if we didn’t like it, we could leave after a little bit and just go somewhere for drinks.  Did I mention the guy taking the money at the door was Matt, who I had a crush on for all 3 years that I went to that high school.  Ha.  (Yes, Matt Hester, if you are reading this, I had a crush on you in high school but I'm pretty sure you were aware of it back then).  I was surprised he knew who I was/recognized me and even asked me about the Virginia Tech/Virginia game; I hadn’t even put anything about that on facebook.  But lets not forget, I’m nervous so I just start talking about football and head in the door.  Whoops.  No clue what’s going on with him now.  I know, I’m socially awkward.  I embrace it.
image

The summary of the night - I saw a few people I recognized, a lot I recognized and wished I didn’t, even MORE people who either names sounded familiar but didn’t recognize them or recognized them but couldn’t place their name OR just thought - did I graduate with you?  Because I don’t remember you at all.  Going into this I thought, we’re all 10 years older and mature, I can talk to these people.  It will be fine.  And for some, that was definitely the case.  But sometimes the bitchy girls will always be the bitchy girls and the cliques will remain cliquey.  And I know how horrible this sounds but there was one guy there I could not place to save my life and I asked someone who that was and it turns out it was a guy I had lots of classes with who wasn’t exactly making fun of me about my weight but wasn’t super friendly either.  I’m sorry for saying this but guess who’s a chunker?  Did it sort of make my night to see that he had put on a LOT of weight?  Yes.  Yes it did.  I’m not even going to lie.  It also took every ounce of restraint not to walk over and say hi and casually mention that I have run a half marathon and done a triathlon.  But I digress.

We ended up staying for about 2 1/2 hours which is longer than I thought we would make it and ended up going to a wine bar afterwards.  (This is Meredith and I at the wine bar.  There were no good pictures of me that night and I’m okay with that).

image

Yeah, because more wine is what we needed.  (note the sarcasm)  Turns out?  Our bartender?  Definitely graduated with him and definitely didn’t recognize him.  Overall, I’m glad I went.  I saw a few people I wouldn’t have seen otherwise and I proved to myself I could go.  I did back into my shell a little bit and then I thought to myself - that’s not who you are anymore.  So get out there and dance!  And I did.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment