Sunday, February 20, 2011

What makes you happy?

I've been fighting it for awhile now but it's official, I'm sick.  The upside to this is that I've been able to catch up on all my blog reading.  One blog I have really enjoyed reading is "Ben Does Life."  Apparently he's starting to write a book and looked to his Dad for some inspiration as a forward.  I pasted it below.

I’ve learned a lot about the disease of addiction over the past 12 or so years.  One of the most interesting aspects of the condition is that it’s not about the substances we use.  Regardless of how we get there, most of us end up in the same sorry state – lonely, empty, and sad.  We isolate ourselves so nobody sees what we’ve become.  We lie and deny; it simply hurts too much to face the truth.  We settle into despair as our health disintegrates.
Those who find recovery generally agree that they seek a new way to live because the old one just wasn’t working anymore.  The substances, whatever they were – whiskey, pills, cocaine, pizza, video games – eventually betray us, and don’t provide the joy or escape they once did.
So we try a different way of life, something new and tentative and scary.  We reach out to others and gradually reconnect.  We find love again.  We stumble at first, keep working at it, find our stride, and then we run with it. And, sometimes, we run far.

I bolded the last part because it depicts the challenge and the change.  I've talked previously how I felt like I have lost a little bit of myself and I'm starting to slowly find me again and it's still true.  I am trying to find one thing a day that makes me smile and find a positive.  A few weeks ago, I took my Mom to NYC for her mumble-mumble'd (just for you Mom - I didn't sell you out :) ) birthday.  My 2 favorite pictures are her with the FAO Shwarz toy solider (b/c he flirted with her and that was hilarious) and then a picture of us in Central Park.

I love to keep photos around of people I love and fun times, so when I get upset, I have something around that makes me smile.  Other things that make smile?  Setting a goal and a reaching it, no matter how small the goal.  I got my runs in last week, before I got sick.  Since I can barely walk without coughing or sneezing, running is out for now but that doesn't mean I can't go for a walk or do the eliptical at the gym.  Which also leads to some pretty spectacular hacking moments.  Yes, you're welcome for that visual.  So for this week, my goals are: get my 3 runs in - keep upping my intervals, say goodbye to a friend moving to dc :( but enjoy a last party in her honor :), make sure I get to hang out with Megs so I get to see her rock (that's right kids, Megan and Allan are engaged!) and kick this darn cold!  I feel like a little bit of myself comes back every week.  So a big thank you to everyone who has stuck with me through these last couple months - I know I didn't make it easy but I appreciate each and every one of you!

One more thing - SPRING IS COMING!!!  I don't know about you, but we had 2 absolutely gloriously beautiful days which reminded me spring is just around the corner.  Bright colors, warmer weather and more sunshine.  What's not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment