Monday, February 28, 2011

It's not the load that breaks you down, It's the way your carry it

Like every other girl in America, I was tuned in Sunday night to watch the Oscars.  The gowns, the jewels, the hair, makeup, everyone dressed up...it's so fun to watch and comment on everything!  This year they praised quite a few Hollywood greats, visionaries and people who paved the way for changes in the industry.  One of those people was Lena Horne.  In honoring her, they listed a quote by Lena - 'It's not the load that breaks you down, It's the way your carry it.'  For a woman who helped pave the way and break stereotypes, she must have had one heck of a load on her shoulders.

Lena's quote got me thinking - we all have things that weigh us down every day but it's how we deal with those burdens.  Some of us deal with it by holing up and getting much needed alone and reflection time; others by doing some form of exercise - be it running, kickboxing, tennis, bootcamp, etc.; hanging out with friends and just talking; escaping into a movie; whatever it may be, we all have our own coping mechanisms.  I don't know about you, but I find it very easy to lose myself in a goal and having something to work towards.  I've been thinking a lot about doing another triathlon and found one coming up in May.  I've tried to find other people who would be interested in doing the triathlon with me but scheduling conflicts seem to hinder quite a few people from joining.  I kept thinking how I needed to have the accountability of someone else to train and complete the triathlon but I think doing this without that accountability may help me prove to myself that I can put my mind to something and accomplish it.  So I'm doing another triathlon!!  Oi, this is going to be interesting.  It's a sprint triathlon (300m swim, 20k bike, 5k run)...the distances aren't too terrifying.  Maybe you should think about doing one too!

No comments:

Post a Comment