Saturday, February 5, 2011

Reflection

This time last year, I had just completed my first half marathon and sobbed after I crossed the finish line.  That was one of the proudest moments of my life, up to that point, as it took so much hard work and determination to get there.  Even with all the snow last year, I did whatever it took to get my mileage in - even running around the inside track at my gym for a 10 mile run.  My gym is a bit smaller than a 1/4 mile track, so it's 6 times around to complete 1 mile; do the math on that and it was 60 laps around that track.  Was it incredibly fun?  No.  Was it necessary?  Yes.  One thing is for sure - I couldn't have done it without my running partner, Amanda, who joked I gave up on our friendship at mile 11.  Though I assured her it was okay because I re-instated our friendship at mile 13.1.  It was also amazing to have my cousin and now cousin-in-law there and running the race as well!



I was so driven to get to that point and now, looking back, it also makes me sad looking how far I am from that person 1 year later.  It's amazing how quickly your choices add up and how taking a little time off turns into a few months which turns into a year and I'm now getting back to training, though my first race is a 10k.  Sometimes I wonder where my determination, motivation, no excuses attitude came from and where I can find it again.  Though I think what it comes down to is whatever you have internally is going to manifest itself.  Whether it's struggles with certain questions or situations or debating on whether or not to do something, being frustrated with things, whatever it may be it will just consume you and start to overshadow other situations in your life.  Now I've previously said I'm not a huge fan of making excuses and that still stands.  However, I am a huge fan of knowing issues in your life and facing your problems because I truly think that is the best and healthiest way to move forward.  There have been a few situations come up in my life over the past year that have caused my focus to shift away from my "motivated, determined and no excuses attitude" and it has taken me this long to realize the culprit.  All I can do is learn from this past year and try to take everything one day at a time, making the best and healthiest decisions each day and remembering to take time for myself and to recharge.

2 comments:

  1. hey elaine! if it helps, i can relate to what you are saying. this has been a hard year on my running! i ran a 5K the other day, and it was hard, and i thought to myself, "where is that runner within me?" we can get it back! let me know how everything goes.

    ReplyDelete