Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Big Richmond weekend

This past weekend was a big weekend in Richmond.  The Monument Avenue 10k sold out and I think almost every person in Richmond was cheering on the runners, VCU played in the biggest games of their life - the final 4....and I think every TV in Richmond was turned to watch the game and support our Rams.  It's been really awesome to see the city come together and support the team.  Oh, and it was also my Daddy's birthday. (Yes, I'm 27 and call him Daddy - I'm a Daddy's girl.  Deal with it. ;) )

We hung out on the back porch, had family friends over for dinner and it was fabulous and yummy.  Leave it to my Mom to bring out the kids in 60+ year old people by placing whoopie cushions at every persons place setting.  The hilarity that ensued was priceless.  With the Monument Ave 10k, this brought the annual carb-load with the Kriegers!  It was great to see everyone and catch up.  This is also why I love my friends - not only do they come in from out of town, but they keep me accountable.  I was talking with Jorie (we used to be in a running group together) and she was asking me if I was training for anything and when I was coming back to the group.  (Ouch)  I told her once I can run my distance consistently and can get my speed back up, I'll be joining them and she told me she would keep on me about when I was coming back.  I love that my friends don't let me off the hook and hold me accountable.

I also love that my friends are up for running with me...even in (according to Sarah) snake infested areas.  I met Sarah for a run, Monday after work, by the river and we were running intervals.  We were done so we were finishing up by walking and I looked down and saw a snake which, to me, looked like it was dead.  Keep in mind, they're re-doing the on-ramp and fixing the bridge in this area, so it's a highly traveled area and construction zone.  I took a step and the snake started slithering toward me.  I have never high-stepped that high and run that fast in my life.  Sarah, who is petrified of snakes, screamed like a 5 year old girl and sprinted down the street. HA!  It was scary and my heart was racing at the time, but looking back, it's pretty funny.  When we got back to the car, we tried to re-create the terror of the snake...but we need to work on our camera timing.  I think we just kept jumping because we didn't know when the picture was actually being taken.



As we finished walking back to the car, Sarah told me she was listening to what I said but was really scanning the road for snakes and freaked out by every sound in the woods.  We made it through the snakes...so we thought we deserved from Bruster's ice cream....or sherbert.  Whatever your preference.  Sometimes you just have to listen to your friends, lean on them, gather support from them, and then have fun and enjoy your life with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment