Monday, June 27, 2011

The culmination of Do Life 5k's and bday celebration week

My birthday celebration week has officially come to an end with a trip to Atlanta.  It was such a fun trip filled with lots of sweet niece hugs, kisses and a blowing-kisses-off and a little peek-a-boo thrown in there for good measure.  It was also the last leg of the Do Life 5k tour I was able to attend.  As Andrea and I pulled into the parking lot, I was excited to see we pulled up next to the Do Life car!

At least that meant we were in the right place. =)  We met up Sunday afternoon at Centennial Olympic Park and as we were walking to the meetup, I couldn't believe how nervous I was even though this was my third event.  Andrea and I walked in and let Maddie run around for a little bit and as I was sitting on the bench making sure Maddie didn't get into trouble, Ben called me out for not coming over to say hi....though I assured him I was only letting everyone else get their time and pictures with him since I had already hung out with him twice.  Of course I had to document Maddie's first "run".

What event would be complete without a little run-in with the cops?  Thank you Atlanta cops for trying to stop 55 people from running...the horrors that can come from people exercising are just astonishing.  After we assured them no money was exchanged - we were just going to go for a run, we were about to set off until the cop told us he couldn't let us leave until his supervisor arrived.  Everything turned out fine and they let us leave to run our 5k.  It was blazing hot in the Georgia sun but definitely not as humid as DC.  I'm happy that everyone finished, no one had heat stroke and then we were off for lunch...where Sasha showed up!!  I haven't seen Sasha since the end of 9th grade when my family and I moved to Charlotte.  It just made the trip THAT much more enjoyable.  I was sad to see my time with the Do Life tour come to an end but I can't wait to see what fun things await this team in the cities coming up.  Seriously, if you're near a city they're visiting - you should go!  Check out the site and click on the map to find a city they're coming to near you!


Some things I have learned from the Do Life 5k's:
I'm stronger than I think
I may have an aversion to running in the heat, but I can do it and be proud at the end.
Everyone has a story and you can be inspired around every corner.
Whether you are first or last, there is nothing to be ashamed of; as long as you go out there and take a step in the right direction, you have won.
If you have a passion for something, others will see it and build you up and support you.  Case in point: Ben & Do Life.

I had a fabulous weekend with my brother, sister-in-law, niece and the Do Life crew.  I have never been more motivated to get back to my triathlon training and I'm so excited about it!  I've already started laying out my workouts for the week so I will be ready!  What goals are you taking on?

No comments:

Post a Comment