Sunday, June 5, 2011

Memories, memories

When I was younger, I was on year-round and summer swim teams - I basically spent as much time as I possibly could in the pool and I loved every second of it.  As I got older, it changed to only summer swim teams because we were moving around and I wanted to do different activities - gymnastics, soccer, tap, ballet, jazz, etc. until I stopped after we moved from Augusta, GA.  Every time I enter a pool area and smell the chlorine, my memories of that time in my life just take over me and I feel like I've gone home; it's a safe place where I can just be.  I went to the gym after Bible study Thursday night because I had a lot on my mind and when I'm in the pool, cutting through the water, all the outside noises and complications are blocked out so it's time for just me and my thoughts.  Another great plus?  If you're upset, and you need to cry, the pool is a fabulous place to get all those emotions out because no one knows that you're crying.  I'm very fortunate that I'm still able to do some of the things I was so involved in when I was younger because it has so many memories attached and I'm glad to know they still provide that comfort...it's like going home and your mom fixing your favorite meal.  It just doesn't get better than that...and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment